Skip to main content

Christmas Traditions

Yes, I know this post is three weeks late, but...

Christmas is a time for tradition. Growing up our tradition included me waking up the WHOLE house on Christmas morning to see what Santa brought and “Last gift of the night” where we had one last gift Christmas night when we went to bed.

This year I decided I wanted to start my own family tradition for Christmas. The Husband and I decided our Christmas tradition would be to give each of the kids something that WE had to put work into, not just buy at the store. Of course we decided this in December so we had to scramble.



For my daughter, I gave her all the stuff to make a cute scrap book/picture album that is all her own. She is about to turn two and loves pictures, but frequently gets in trouble for trying to handle mine. I gave her all the stuff, but we still haven’t actually made it yet. But we will…as soon as I get pictures developed!!! (uploading now)



For big man, he got his Daddy’s hunting rifle (No I have no idea what kind it is). His Daddy replaced a couple of parts and mounted a scope for him. He loves it! For those of you freaking out that we gave a seven year old a gun, I need to point out a couple of things. First this is Tennessee and he will take his hunters safety course at nine…in a year and a half. Secondly, the gun is in a case in our room. Third, the bullets are locked up separately from the gun. He does not have access to get the gun whenever he so chooses.

I happen to have gotten a sewing machine for Christmas, so next year I know we will do better…and start planning for our “homemade” items in July.

All in all we had a fabulous Christmas, we were blessed to be all together for five full days. I hope each of you also had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Now I wonder what Christmas traditions other families have, care to share?

Comments

  1. What a great Christmas tradition! I love planning Christmas activities for the family. And good luck with the sewing! I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Carnival Cruise Tips for Families

Our family just returned from an 8 day cruise on the Carnival Horizon. While I and my husband have cruised before (many years ago), this was our first cruise with the kids and it was different. I have several friends that are planning or wanting to go on a cruise, so I thought I would write a little bit about our experience, in hopes that it will help someone else with their planning.  If their is interest in any certain area, I will gladly make another post that goes more in depth on that subject. BEFORE YOU GO 1. Unless you live in Florida (or near another port) and don't mind taking a 3 day cruise on the fly, book well in advance. The fairs are cheaper, you have longer to pay and you will have your pick of dining times and excursions. You can also just pay the deposit now and have until 90-75 days before your cruise to finish paying it off. 2. Social Media is your friend. Go ahead and find out who your cruise director will be and follow him on social media. He/She wi

6 Ways to Love on.....Everyone. And a rebuttal.

I don't normally post religious things.  I find my own personal take on religion to be.....quirky at time.  However, I recently saw an article floating around the web that was written by what I assume is a 20 something single lady.  It was how she felt single women need to be loved on by married persons in a church congregation.  You can read it here . I found parts of the article to be sound theory and spot on, while other parts were, shall we say misguided.  By the end of the article, I was also thinking, why are there so many separate "groups" in a church and how we all need to be loved on, not just one group.  So here is my humble rebuttal (based on my life and experiences) and also a simple blue print on how you can love on anyone in your church congregation....or anyone in the world. In response to “Six ways to Love Single Women:"               1.   Words are hurtful.  People should choose their words carefully, I agree.  God has many reasons for not

My Breaking Point

I have been meaning to write for a while. I have planned posts, but never got around to actually writing them. I had planned to write a post about coupons. I have become a bit of a coupon nut. I had planned to write about my first bike ride since I was twelve, and how sore and out of shape I have apparently become. I had planned to write about how my sweet, innocent two year old is now throwing tantrums about everything, including that Mommy isn't holding the sippy cup exactly right! I had planned to write how suddenly my toddler refuses to sleep, especially in her own bed. And about my hours of research and theories, just incase there are any other parents out there who are experiencing a similar situation. However, after about three hours of sleep (since that is all my sweet and innocent toddler thinks she needs these days), realizing that I am way behind at work and I just CANNOT catch up, and just finding out the me and my hubby will each be loosing part of our life insurance,