Skip to main content

Frugal Friday - Coupon Tips

Lately I've been asked lots of questions about my couponing, and I never seem to be organized enough to give anyone the full run down, so I though I would post some of my favorite tips. Feel free to ask questions, and I'll be glad to answer. Consider this an overview and I'll go more in depth on some of these in later posts.

1. If you use coupons, you will save money. Period. However, it is important to know what your goal is. Are you trying to get more expensive products at a bettr price? Are you trying to get your grocery bill down to a certain amount? Your goal will determine over all how much you save/spend.

2. Usually (I've never found a case where this isn't true) you can only use 1 manufacturer coupon and 1 store coupon on a single item. If you purchase 5 products, you will need 5 coupons (if you want to save on all 5) unless the coupon states otherwise.

3. I tend to save a bigger percentage and have a lower grocery bill when I buy the less expensive items. Items that typically cost $2 and under are my biggest savers. They tend to have coupons for a larger percentage of their purchase price than more expensive items. $1 off a $2 item is a better deal than $2 off of a $10 item.

4. To save the most money, you have to go to more than one store. Don't drive yourself crazy though, pick 3 stores to start with, and when you are comfortable with those, add more if want.

5. Organization is key. Looking through all those sale papers and matching up with coupons can be daunting. It is much easier if you go through each sale paper and make a list of the items you like and then go through your coupons and match them up. This will also allow you to see which deal is better if two stores have the same item on sale.

6. Kroger (for now) and Publix double coupons up to $.50. A $.50 cent coupon is actually worth $1. A $1 coupon is still only worth $1.

7. Don't feel the need to HAVE to use a coupon. I'll admit, I still feel guilty some days when I let a coupon expire with out using it, especially when I know it is for a product we use all the time. But, the truth is, the exact same coupon will come along again in a couple of weeks. Don't go buy something just because you have a coupon. Wait for a good sale to come along.

8. Actively seek out coupons in different places. Everyone knows to find coupons in the Sunday Paper, and online. Look for coupons in packaging, in stores and magazines as well. I've also started writing companies (look at my posts titled "Project") and letting them know what I think about thier products and recieved coupons in return. Proctor and Gamble lets you request coupons through thier site P&G Solutions once a quarter and Home Made Simple every 2 or 3 months.

9. If you shop at Kroger and use electronic coupons, beware that if an electronic coupon is added to your card it will come off when you buy that item using your kroger plus card. You will not be able to use a paper coupon on the same item and the electronic coupon does not double. To get around this, you could get a second Kroger plus card, and use it for items that you have an electronic coupon for but do not wish to use. You would need to do two transactions, 1 with the normal Kroger card and all the products you want the electronic coupons used for, and the second with the other Kroger card and the products you do not want the electronic coupons used for. This can mess up your fuel points though,so use your judgement.

10. Couponing is time consuming. I find that my savings are directly related to the amount of time that I have to invest in it. You have to set your priorities. There are weeks when my schedule does not allow me to devote much time to coupons, and those weeks my savings are considerably less than the weeks where I devote HOURS to couponing.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will respond to the best of my knowledge.

By the way, You may notice there is now a tab at the top of my page titled "Saving Money", there you will find links to past posts about saving money. ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carnival Cruise Tips for Families

Our family just returned from an 8 day cruise on the Carnival Horizon. While I and my husband have cruised before (many years ago), this was our first cruise with the kids and it was different. I have several friends that are planning or wanting to go on a cruise, so I thought I would write a little bit about our experience, in hopes that it will help someone else with their planning.  If their is interest in any certain area, I will gladly make another post that goes more in depth on that subject. BEFORE YOU GO 1. Unless you live in Florida (or near another port) and don't mind taking a 3 day cruise on the fly, book well in advance. The fairs are cheaper, you have longer to pay and you will have your pick of dining times and excursions. You can also just pay the deposit now and have until 90-75 days before your cruise to finish paying it off. 2. Social Media is your friend. Go ahead and find out who your cruise director will be and follow him on social media. He/She wi

6 Ways to Love on.....Everyone. And a rebuttal.

I don't normally post religious things.  I find my own personal take on religion to be.....quirky at time.  However, I recently saw an article floating around the web that was written by what I assume is a 20 something single lady.  It was how she felt single women need to be loved on by married persons in a church congregation.  You can read it here . I found parts of the article to be sound theory and spot on, while other parts were, shall we say misguided.  By the end of the article, I was also thinking, why are there so many separate "groups" in a church and how we all need to be loved on, not just one group.  So here is my humble rebuttal (based on my life and experiences) and also a simple blue print on how you can love on anyone in your church congregation....or anyone in the world. In response to “Six ways to Love Single Women:"               1.   Words are hurtful.  People should choose their words carefully, I agree.  God has many reasons for not

My Breaking Point

I have been meaning to write for a while. I have planned posts, but never got around to actually writing them. I had planned to write a post about coupons. I have become a bit of a coupon nut. I had planned to write about my first bike ride since I was twelve, and how sore and out of shape I have apparently become. I had planned to write about how my sweet, innocent two year old is now throwing tantrums about everything, including that Mommy isn't holding the sippy cup exactly right! I had planned to write how suddenly my toddler refuses to sleep, especially in her own bed. And about my hours of research and theories, just incase there are any other parents out there who are experiencing a similar situation. However, after about three hours of sleep (since that is all my sweet and innocent toddler thinks she needs these days), realizing that I am way behind at work and I just CANNOT catch up, and just finding out the me and my hubby will each be loosing part of our life insurance,