Here are some things to look at/think about:
- Cell Phone Bills: Does your carrier have any new plans that meet your needs are are cheaper? Do you actually use 800 minutes a month?
- Cable/Satellite: Which channels do you watch, how often do you watch them? Would you really miss anything if you cut back (or off) your cable and got netflix/hulu/etc instead?
- Internet: Check around and see which provider has the best offers right now!
- Gas Money: Could you carpool (with a spouse,friend,co worker)? Is the person driving the furthest in your house, driving the best gas mileage vehicle? Can you plan trip and errands so you only go out once? Mass transit continues to grow, there could be new possibilities in your area.
- Bartering: If there are services that you know you are going to need (child care, tree service, mechanic work, etc), is there anything you can barter for the services? Maybe a friend is willing to watch your children the week you need child care, in return you can clean her house or supply a few meals. Maybe your neighbor is willing to trim your trees for you, in return you could mow his yard or babysit his kids. You can barter anything: photography, resume writing, editing, dog walking. ANYTHING.
- Insurance: It never hurts to compare your home and auto insurance to what is available out there. Make sure you are getting the best rates and all the discounts you qualify for. Also make sure you have the coverage you need, but cut out extras that you do not need.
Happy (Financial) Spring Cleaning!!
Do you have any suggestions on where to look for a few extra bucks? Do you have a great story about bartering? Let me know in the comments below!